To give you a better experience on our websites, we place cookies on your computer, phone or tablet.
Ugerups Säteri through the centuries
Ugerups Säteri is located about a mile south of Kristianstad and is characterized by a beautiful manor house along Vramsån. The theories say that Ugerup founded around the 1200's, or perhaps even earlier.
The beginning of Ugerup
Ugerup's name derives from two interpretations. The ending -rup indicates that there has been some kind of settlement. The other interpretation implies that Ugerup is a kind of ancient Nordic word that means "curvature". Ugerup would thus mean the settlement at the bend of a river, which is quite likely since the river "Vramsån" is located near Ugerup. Those who created Ugerup once upon a time is not quite clear, however, Arild Urup is a well-known name in these areas. He was born in 1528 and passed away in 1587 and has been the ruler of Ugerup once.
"The Old Ugerup"
The large manor house, which characterizes Ugerup Säteri, has not always been the main building. There was a smaller, yet stately, half-timbered house that formed the main building from the 16th century. This building was built around 1500 and was surrounded by a moat, with the entrance on the north side. Unfortunately, the remainings of this building has been lost in a fire in the 1970s.
The 17th century
Denmark dominated most of the Nordic countries in this era, which made Copenhagen the capital wherein also the king ruled.However, for the villagers of ugerup, it was more important who was the owner of Ugerup. The farmers in Ugerup were all saviors, so they didn't have to pay taxes to the king but instead pay a fee to the landlord of Ugerup.
The 18th century
The early 18th century is characterized by a great Nordic war, were Denmark is considered to be the enemy, together with Russia and Poland. The landlord, Margareta von Ascheberg, widow of Kjeld Christoffer Barnekow, was at this stage forced to settle a regulation and young peasant boys therefore went out to war. During her time, the new manor house was built and a larger part of the old building was demolished, only the northern part remained. Margareta von Aschenberg, however, lived in Vittskövle, and her daughter, Brita Barnekow, was forced to settle in the new manor house with
her 50-year-old husband Johan August Meijerfeldt. A memory of her is still preserved at the fasad of the warehouse she had built in 1764.
The 19th century
It is still the same family, Barnekow, who ruled Ugerup. However, they did not live at Ugerup's seat itself, but in Vittskövle castle. In the 19th century, they also began to grow potatoes, and Ugerup's fields were well suited to this. When Christian Barnekow, in 1826, was forced to sell Vittskövle castle for economic reasons, Ugerup's seat was again permanently inhabited.
"A new era"
In the 1850s, many changes took place, the estate was sold to a Count Reventlow in Lolland, Denmark. He redistributed the land so that every farm only could use a few shifts, thus the city community also disappeared. The old village that once existed today is gone without visible remains.